Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Status Change: Single Parent

We all want to live a healthy, long life. Hence, the discomfort around death is normal. However, somewhere I always feel that single parents are more worried about their death, with concerns related to their kid's well-being and future if they were to pass away. This surely leads to anxiety about the subject of death.

I feel that for most parents, when a partner dies or separates, the foremost thought is about bringing up the child alone. After I lost my partner 10 years ago on this date to an accident, I struggled with lack of confidence to parent a child alone. Also, the thought of making Maulik realise that our world was just me and him was so earth shattering.

Through the years, as I battled some health challenges, my obvious thought was, ‘can I afford to die’. I mean I want to watch him graduate, get married, and have babies. I want to be around to answer his questions about love, life, relationships, society and if he were to ask me, even boring things like banking, investments, taxes.

I stumbled, for a while, but eventually regained my footing. Part of the solo parenting journey was to learn to dismiss what everyone says, get out of self pity, and friendzone the kid. Along the way, I laid down my guard and learned to ask for help. And when I did that, I realised that the world was a much bigger place. My immediate family, for example, has been a finger distance away, always ready to guide, support and offer love and care. My brother, who has always been a father figure to M, my sis in law who has been M’s bestest buddy. Not to mention my mom who is always there like an umbrella. There are many friends who've been there to make me feel stronger and taller. Can't thank them enough. 

With this realisation that I am not alone, it became okay to believe that I can be hit by a shooting meteor and die any moment. Death will not announce. And while everything around started looking safe, and I was secure in my knowledge that I was doing everything in my power not to die, I realised it was time to get my affairs in order...just in case. Create financial cushion, do well with savings and investments, choose a legal guardian, have all the important documents well sorted, prepare a will, are things that can bring a measure of comfort. I am on top of this list already.

I also realised that once you've established a guardian, it is important to inform him or her of your expectations for your kids, including the hopes you have for them and the values you hold dear. I remember mumbling on the hospital bed once, ‘If I die, don’t send M to a hostel, he has always hated that idea.’ I have also made plans for his wedding and spoken about them. (okay that is silly, I admit).

So my advice to all single parents would be to take the time to document your wishes along with a fool proof will. And hey, did I forget mentioning life insurance policies so that when you die, you make the child rich at least. But on a serious note, what is most important is to keep faith. The universe has a way of leading us to do the right things for our kids. The path of faith may seem steep, but it always leads us to something good and secure.

4 comments:

  1. You are role model of every single parent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shweta, very brave of you that shared your experiences journey with others.. i could feel your emotions while reading your blog..it was really touching..may be that's because i have known you as mother of maulik, who has been my son's childhood friend and till date they are good friends. Though we might not have known eachother
    personally but i have always felt that you are strong and brave lady,who iss a single parent and ihas raised up your kid wonderfully..Reading your blog will surely change the perception about single parent, and their struggles. Actualy I regert not being able connect with you when you were in Rail vihar...but as they its never to late to start new friendship..All the best for this new venture (blogging)..Take care.Lots of love..Pratibha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you hv articulated the fears and the hopes. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. With faith as your companion, your journey shall be fruitful 🤗

    ReplyDelete

Let them fly and see them soar

   In your vacant room, the lights are always on    But there is no one calling for food And as the door is always ajar I miss screaming, ‘o...