Friday, February 22, 2008

Cricket Bazaar

It is the first time that I am disagreeing with Mr. Rajdeep. When India lost it to Sri Lanka in the run for World Cup, Rajdeep had written about how relieved he was feeling from all that unnecessary razzmatazz around the game. (http://www.ibnlive.com/blogs/rajdeepsardesai/1/1387/death-of-a-game.html)

Today, the entire IPL thing looks the same to me. But in http://www.ibnlive.com/blogs/rajdeepsardesai/1/50320/crickets-big-bazaar.html, Rajdeep gives in to the cricketers. According to me, when cricketers are seen more on Page 3 and less on the front page for winning matches, I feel the game is losing its spirit. In a country where traffic problem ceases to be a problem on the match days, the commercial tangent to the game looks unfair. Can we forget the comotion the streets of mumbai when the 20-20 team was returning after their landmark victory.

Sir (Rajdeep) himself tells us about this guy who was dropped from the Indian team for a tour of England in 1952 because he tried to earn a living by playing professional cricket for a Lancashire club. Though I completely nod my head with his write up, in the last para, I stop. The finances attached to the game have really changed. I see more Dhoni and Yuvi with my evening Cuppa, than bollywood. Had the IPL kinda thing come in the times when cricketers were under paid, all this wud have made sense, but surely not today. I am sure no one wants to watch the sell purchase game of cricketers. It’s purely a money and fame game…donno how much of a game it shall remain though.

Sorry Sir, but I think the guys are getting much more than their share, in terms of money as well as limelight, and even as contenders for our Ms. Deepika.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heights of pagalpan or one of the way to get attention:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshowpics/2841211.cms