Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Dreams-II

I saw dreams again, this time in the eyes of the 15 young candidates I met for interview.

In those 15 pair of eyes, I saw dreams: to make it big, to earn good, to travel overseas, to make their parents proud. Rejecting any in the lot was a tough job, because it was so crude to suddenly wake them up and perturb their dreams. While one wanted to support his family financially, another one wanted to make it big…the way Dhirubhai Ambani did. Sounds infantile, but have we not dreamt the same when we passed out from college.

The nervousness of the candidates reminded me of my first interview, and that was with Raj Kamal Jha, the genius behind The Blue Bedspread (read the book to believe that he is one), the book that won the 2000 Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Best First Book (Eurasia region) and was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year. One look at him, and I wanted to run away. A stern and no nonsense person, his room was full of smoke… that must have been his 79th cigarette of the day. I was in my second year of college then…too early to face that man of intellect.

I could relate to the nervousness of those candidates, to the thoughts running on their mind, and more so, to their dreams. Those were my dreams 10 years back…time can place you on any side of the table, but dreams are forever.

2 comments:

Abby said...

Hyperlinking now. Wowowo!

Anonymous said...

so what happened to the dozen and a quarter novices? did you hire them all and turned your company's dream into a nightmare?
Sapna mera toot gaya...